Specialized Education May Be Limiting Us In The Current Economy
We’re moving towards a new class of businesses — The Creator Economy.
Off the top of your head, you’d think — YouTubers, TikTokers and so forth, but the reality is content creation is a form of entrepreneurship.
Like any form of business, there is a learning curve:
- Understanding different platforms
- Marketing, SEO, Blogs
- Video Content — Film Making, Editing
This is just touching the surface. If we dig deeper, we see the need for accounting, hiring, pricing; the list goes on!
Love It, Or Hate It, It Is Here To Stay!
The truth is, most of us aren’t equipped to run a business.
Is that a problem? That depends on your intentions.
Stuck in a job you hate? Being independent is your route.
That’s where the problem begins. There is so much to learn, that we decide to just not quit instead. Things that stop us?
- Sunk Costs : We believe it’s not worth it now because we spent so much time in our education
- Lack of Time : Another way of saying it’s not a priority
- Comfort zone : We’re comfortable where we are so we’d rather do the stuff we don’t like till we retire
How Did We End Up Like This?
Most of our education prepared us to ace exams and land ‘high paying’ jobs.
We learned to study, but reduced our curiosity. We accepted more, and questioned less.
Reduced curiosity and forgetting how to learn? A disaster for succeeding in a business of your own.
So, What Can We Do About This?
For those who do want to pursue their own journeys, it’s important to figure out the things that drive you.
- Unlearn the old ways of just doing and learn how to learn.
- Accept that this will take time; there’s a reason not everyone does it.
This “Old Way” Of Doing Things Is Going Off For Good.
We can always blame our systems for where we are today, but we have only ourselves to blame if we don’t take the steps necessary to unlearn.
It’s in unlearning that we give the mind space to learn new things; Things that matter to us and help us follow our own paths.
This post first appeared on rainarangelo.com